lundi 6 mai 2013

Fated (Dark Protectors 1) by Rebecca Zanetti

Hello to all,

         My Blood pressure being completely unstable right now i won't be long but i didn't want to let you too long without any review or post. I love shifters and i appreciate vampires so when a book has both i'm really happy to give it a try. The Dark protectors series was recommended to me several time but until i won this book i didn't know what i was missing ( thank you Brenda!).

 So today i give you my impression on Fated first book of the Dark protectors series by Rebecca Zanetti.

Enjoy!

Publisher: Brava
Publication: 2011
ISBN:  0758259239
Genre: paranormal romance
Violence: strong
Language: mild
sex: strong
Public: 18+
Source: won
 



Short description from goodreads :

Marry Me! Cara Paulsen does not give up easily. A scientist and a single mother, she's used to fighting for what she wants, keeping a cool head, and doing whatever it takes to protect her daughter Janie. But "whatever it takes" has never before included a shotgun wedding to a dangerous-looking stranger with an attitude problem.

Or Else! Sure, the mysterious Talen says that he's there to protect Cara and Janie. He also says that he's a three-hundred-year-old vampire. Of course, the way he touches her, Cara might actually believe he's had that long to practice. . .


My opinion:
          I often heard about this series and author but I didn’t dare to try it until I won this book. I was really missing something, I won’t say it’s my favourite book because it’s not but I really enjoyed it. First I was surprised because I thought it was just a vampire romance but while this book focus on one, they are a lot of other creatures in the story  like shifters, mountain lions it’s a first for me,  some are only cited but we don’t get to see a character from these group yet like witches, fae, shamans  etc.  At the moment I quite enjoy the diversity so it’s promising.

The vampires here are also different from a lot of others, for example they are not bothered by the sun and their diet isn’t only blood. Oh they also have special abilities (psychics, teleportation, etc) that differ depending on the vampire. They constitute a group, realm , like, the shifters, fae etc does, but  one difference is that their king, Dage, is also the head of the system that regroup all the factions. He isn’t the ruler of the wolf shifter for example but their ruler must abide by his rules on some levels. Dage’s family ( the Kayrs) are the head of the vampires with specific role, Talen being the head of security. The vampires are born and always males.

They are fighting the Kurjans, another group, that share a lot of similarities with the vampires but are their opposite. Kurjans loves to kill and do attack humans for their blood. A difference is that they can stand the sun but like the vampires: there are nearly immortals, they have special abilities and can only mate, reproduce with special humans.

The fact that the vampires are fighting a opposite groups, that has a lot in common with them, isn’t a novelty (same in midnight breed series, black dagger brotherhood, etc) the fact that they are looking for human women with special abilities, the only one with who they can reproduce, and fighting over them also has already be used before (midnight breed series). But for me it’s the first time they have alliances, each group, with other paranormal creatures and that’s a plus. And even if it’s not that original, Rebecca Zanetti’s writing style is really captivating and once I started this book I didn’t spend time thinking I already know that etc I was in the story and it’s only  when I finished the book that I started to analyse it.

Talen is an interesting character,  he is arrogant and an alpha but at the same time he doesn’t  search to be known for what he has done. He tells Cara his brother has created the peace when in fact he was the one behind the treaty for example. He doesn’t boast of his powers either but he wants to protect his mate and for that he is quite pushing her ….he doesn’t force her but I didn’t like how he did it either. I didn’t like he forced her to sumit for example, for me it wasn’t necessary but since he doesn’t speak to her enough and that she has been traumatized by her hard , abused childhood…she was resting him which seems perfectly normal… I guess I would have preferred then that he was more patient, even persistent, but not dominant with her like he does.

Cara is courageous… often acting too stupidly for my taste but she has a good heart. She want to protect her child and that’s her priority, she is also loyal to her sister and her friends. She is refusing her powers at first because her father tried to kill her because of them and it’s one of the reasons she is afraid of a relationship. So when a big and strong male like Talen enters in her life and claims that he is a vampire and she must marry him immediately she rebels against it. Try to delay it and then plan to play along before escape… that’s until she is confronted to the Kurjans and understand that her child Janie is really a target as well and only the Kayrs family is able to protect her.  Slowly she starts to fall for Talen but part of her is still insecure and she does stupid things and don’t ask the questions she wants answers too….

The plot is really well thought and I really enjoyed Janie. I would like to know more about her friend for example and the fact the Kurjans are trying to find a way to contaminate the mates of the vampires to be able to steal them is something original, I’m curious to see where the series will go.

 If you are a lover of paranormal romance with vampire but not exclusively this is a wonderful reads for you. To recommend


Score:  4/5

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and no compensation was received in exchange for this review

Challenges:


2 commentaires:

  1. Ah it sounds good Miki. I love that the vampires are a little bit different than most even if it's not a completely original storyline. I'm actually okay with that last part though as long as the writing is entertaining :) Glad you enjoyed it. I'm going to have to give it a go some day soon.

    And I hope you are feeling better! It's been a rough year hasn't it? Lots of good thoughts coming your way!

    ~Anna

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. The characters sound like so much fun and a good story line even if not the most original.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    RépondreSupprimer