jeudi 25 avril 2013

The accidental Demon Slayer ( Demon Slayer 1) by Angie Fox

Hi!

      After a fabulous sunny day, my mood is at its zenith despite some health troubles so you should get a lot of posts before the end of the month.

Today we continue with another book about demons...biker witches and speaking dog as well as an demon slayer in training... Discover the first book of the Demon slayer series by Angie Fox, a really kind woman and a more than good author.

Have fun!

Publisher: Createspace
Publication: 2011
ISBN:  1463558309
Genre: urban fantasy, paranormal romance
Violence: mild

Language: normal
sex: strong
Public: 18+
Source: bought
 




Short description from goodreads :

 It's never a good day when an ancient demon shows up on your toilet bowl. For Lizzie Brown, that's just the beginning. Soon her hyperactive terrier starts talking, and her long-lost biker witch Grandma is hurling Smuckers jars filled with magic. Just when she thinks she's seen it all, Lizzie learns she's a demon slayer-and all hell is after her.
Of course, that's not the only thing after her. Dimitri Kallinikos, a devastatingly handsome shape-shifting griffin needs Lizzie to slay a demon of his own. But how do you talk a girl you've never met into going straight to the underworld? Lie. And if that doesn't work, how dangerous could a little seduction be...?


My opinion:
          This book surprises me and I really think I could love this series even if I didn’t give the highest score to this first book.  I did like it a lot but the beginning was a little hard for me to get into the story which isn’t really surprising since the heroine too see everything coming down on her without prior notice. Now after that first part, I loved it a lot.

It looks like in books including demons, the pets tends to “speak” a lot (literally or not)^^ this month,  first I met “Dooley “( in Demon hunting in Dixie), Kara Gillian got a cat  “Poupinette” with a strong personality and now I  discovered Pirate. I love Pirate he not only speaks but he is funny and he does have a lot to say in intelligible conversation none the less. He is the one who keep my interest high when the story was a little slipping.

What destabilised me a little is the beginning… Lizzie has been adopted she knows it so far so good. Suddenly, 30 years later, a woman call says she is her grandmother and Lizzie believe her without question, even invite her to her home the next day… it goes too quickly for me. It’s perhaps my personality but if I had been abandoned I’m not sure I would want to meet my biological family but even I was I wouldn’t trust the first person  who proclaim to be my family, I would do some research take some time to thing about it etc. Even more if I had a party planned the same day. Lizzie seems to be a really organised person, who doesn’t like to do something without programming it in details so for me there is a contraction there and it bothered me.

Now I can understand that grandma is determined and had planned that but still. And Lizzie who follows her after seeing a demon on her toilet – they don’t pick the best place ^^;;- I guess I was expecting more resistance.  Though as soon as the action really start, the story sucks you in  and you don’t have a moment to breath like Lizzie and the gorgeous griffin called Dimitri. The relationship between them is eventful, trust not easily given and let’s be honest, Lizzie doesn’t think for the long run when she agrees to take him as her protector and a little more. Now we will learn later that he wasn’t really truthful either , I guess it bothered me when he does tell her the truth , earlier would have been better but I can in some measure understand him… then again Lizzie forgive a little too quickly to my taste but with her life on the line it’s perhaps normal.

The biker witches are funny even if I wouldn’t want to share a meal with them, some are more likable than others but Bob is really kind with Pirate. You also get a share of werewolves, I do hope JR will stay a friend because in this book, werewolves are a little different not in a bad sense but their intern politic is quite messed up. ( though if Andréa was out of the game I wouldn’t miss her)

 I loved to see Lizzie becoming more confident and following her instinct, I doubted her a little at a moment because she often act without thinking and some of her actions will have consequences we still don’t know but I she grew on me and I will be glad to read more of her adventures.

 If you want a paranormal romance including griffin and really steamy scenes, lot of action and gore stuff as potion material^^ this is a promising debut for a series that could only get better. To recommend to adult only even if the cover could have been one for a YA story this is NOT one at all!


Score:  3,5/5

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and no compensation was received in exchange for this review

Challenges:


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire