lundi 11 mars 2013

Rosemary and Rue ( October Daye1) by Seanan McGuire

Hello to all,

             Since it's the second day of the "Carnaval" in my city, i'm writing with music in the background .. i must admit i'm impressed to see how enthousiastic they are when it's minus 5 and snowing...i really prefer to stay warm with a good book and a cup of tea.

I've decided to share with you a new series that i discovered thanks to a recomendation.... it's really not what i expected, i was really surprised, but i did spend a enjoyable moment reading so if you want a book with fae and love urban fantasy you can try this one though keep in mind it's at least a little dark. I still have several books in this series to read -and some others are on my wishlist if you want to offer them to me ;) - so you will probably hear more about October Daye.. i just don't know when^^

Happy reading


Publisher: DAW BOOKS Inc
Publication: 2009
ISBN:  0756405718
Genre: urban fantasy, paranormal, romance
Violence: strong

Language: normal
sex: mild
Public: 18+
Source: bought
 

Short description from goodreads :

 October "Toby" Daye, a changeling who is half human and half fae, has been an outsider from birth. After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the Faerie world, retreating to a "normal" life. Unfortunately for her, the Faerie world has other ideas...

The murder of Countess Evening Winterrose pulls Toby back into the fae world. Unable to resist Evening's dying curse, which binds her to investigate, Toby must resume her former position as knight errant and renew old alliances. As she steps back into fae society, dealing with a cast of characters not entirely good or evil, she realizes that more than her own life will be forfeited if she cannot find Evening's killer

My opinion:
         I was quite surprised by this story….when this series was recommended to me I expected a good story of urban fantasy and something original… I wasn’t disappointed but I didn’t expect something so dark either.

Now, it’s really a good story I enjoyed the mystery and the faeries’ universe. It’s really well writing and I was captivated…however I also think it’s better to know it’s not a soft urban fantasy either… I lost count of the deaths (some completely too unfair) and the violence….faeries yes but forgot fairy tales…. They are vindictive, treacherous, deadly, arrogant and cruel … I admit I loved some of them Sylvester and Luna are good characters, loyal (at least for now) and I really loved them… but the one I preferred immediately was Tybalt, the way how he acted with October, Toby, make me think about Adam Hauptman in the mercy Thompson series and how he acted with Mercy in the beginning of the series. Pushing her buttons but never being cruel without reason and helping when needed…. The difference… if both are alpha Tybalt is a cat (with all that it includes…) and Adam a wolf ^^;;  I’m sure you understand what it means.

I was really surprised to discover such a cruel universe; the faeries do kill the children of mixed blood when they are young if they want to stay “ human”… then they treat changelings, those who choose fae’s blood over humans, like dirt. (Though that’s not the original part it something that still makes me angry) Treachery, alliance, arranged marriage, political intrigues…. Really it’s not a world I would love to life in.

 Despite being quite dark I enjoyed this read and I think I would have given an higher score if I didn’t felt lost so often. This books includes a large variety of Faeries and I’m sure they will be even more in the future books, the problem is that if you don’t have a vast knowledge of faeries before reading this you can easily becoming lost. Yes some are described, explained but not all and not in an extensive way either…. There is a pronunciation guide useful perhaps but I would have preferred a small listing with principal characteristics, or descriptions of the creatures cited it would have been more useful for me.  I hope I will learn and becoming less and less lost in the future but to start it wasn’t easy. I’m really interested in continuing this series though.

Still if you want a good urban fantasy, you don’t mind it being dark, this is a perfect reads for you!


Score:  3,5/5

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and no compensation was received in exchange for this review

Challenges:

3 commentaires:

  1. It is dark UF, miki, and it will only get darker with each book SO if you prefer something lighter read Seanan McGuire's Incryptid series instead. It's really crazy and fun, and quite light.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. arf you are starting to make me regret to have bought those books now. I don't know anything about the Incryptid series i will check it out but i don't know when

      Supprimer
  2. I've heard like Kara said too. But Melliane has loved this series. I've heard the first book is good, but the books afterward get better too. I've got the first one and very much need to get to it. :)

    RépondreSupprimer