vendredi 29 mars 2013

A Local Habitation (October Daye2) by Seanan McGuire

Hello to all,

              only a few days left before April and i want to read as much as paranormal romance including fae before i switch to another kind of creatures.. though i've become really addicted on some series this month so you can expect to hear more about them in the future

Like i told you in my last review i really wanted more of the October Daye series so read it without waiting despite it being dark urban fantasy ( i guess i'm more dark that what i thought^^ or i really can't resist Tybalt ( i need to get the book with it's short story in it!!!!))  now i did have a little problem because my page 179 is smeared by a big ink spot si i couldn't read it , i hope teh editor will do something but until then i had to do with what i have and book 2 finished i really want to start book3 already ;) but it will have to wait a little because now i'm reading Iron King that i want to finish before then end of March to review it.

 Happy Reading!

Publisher: DAW
Publication: 2010
ISBN:  0756405963
Genre: dark urban fantasy, paranormal, romance, fey, fantasy
Violence: strong
Language: normal
sex: none
Public: 18+
Source: bought


Short description from goodreads :

 Now comes the second in the series-from a dynamic new fantasy talent!

Toby Daye-a half-human, half-fae changeling-has been an outsider from birth. After getting burned by both sides of her heritage, Toby has denied the fae world, retreating to a "normal" life. Unfortunately for her, the Faerie world had other ideas...

Now her liege, the Duke of the Shadowed Hills, has asked Toby to go to the County of Tamed Lightning to make sure all is well with his niece, Countess January O'Leary. It seems like a simple enough assignment-until Toby discovers that someone has begun murdering people close to January, and that if the killer isn't stopped, January may be the next victim.


My opinion:
          I did love this book….i admit I was a bit afraid at first since I was told it was becoming darker and darker but  I enjoyed it and I didn’t feel it was that dark either. It’s not light yes but I’m starting to think that as long as fey are concerned it’s never light and all happy… however there is some humour too not too much but just the right level for that kind of universe. I absolutely adore Tybalt and I was glad to learn a little more about how his kind of creatures was organised. They really have a special place between the fey and I find this really interesting…. I also enjoy to see how Toby isn’t getting any clue about Tybalt ‘s feeling ^^;;.

In this book we also see more of Quentin and it’s was interesting to see Toby as a teacher because it’s not a role I would have thought for her but she is managing quite well…. I mean, there is a lot of fear, blood and risks but she keeps her charge with her so it’s a good point. Her luck isn’t the best…and I’m sure the insurance will be crazy at the rhythm she destroy her cars^^;; . Oh and yes Connor will be there too (we need some tension after all;) )

Now that being said, the plot in a whole wasn’t bad but I did guess a part of the solution (culprit and reason) but the author managed to keep me interested all along the book. Also learning about the creatures that come for the fey’s body when they die and why was really, really interesting.

Toby is a character quite complex and in each book, I’m discovering more about her in each book. She is loyal and determined, she could have become hateful but she didn’t and I appreciate that. She is trying to do her best which is quite difficult with the intricacies and rules in place in the world of fey. This time, we didn’t see her thinking about her “human family” which could be strange but I appreciated that she was immersed in her fae part. The way she is reacting with Connor is something I like, she doesn’t want to interfere in the relationship he has (though she does a little but not from her decision most of the time. I just hope she will understand Tybalt soon because I want them together)

I really recommend this book to those who want a dark urban fantasy, fey and tension  with a touch of romance and humour.

Score:  4/5

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and no compensation was received in exchange for this review

Challenges:






2 commentaires:

  1. cette série est sublime j'avais été un peu mitigée aprés le premier tome mais c'est vraiment une de mes préférée maintenant! Je les ai tous lu et ils sont tous mieux les uns que les autres. J'attends la suite avec grande impatience!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. comme toi je deviens réellement accro ^^;; . As tu également lu les nouvelles? Je veux vraiment décourir celle sur Tybalt donc j'ai ajouter l'anthologie sur ma wishlist mais j'ignore quand je serai assez chanceuse que pour l'avoir

      Supprimer