jeudi 26 avril 2012

All that Glitters by Erin Kellison in the anthology Hotter on the Edge

Hello to all,

                    first today i introduce you to another novella from the Anthology " Hotter on the Edge" with "All that Glitters" written by Erin Kellison, an author that you will see even more during the fantasy romance month  but first her science- fiction romance that's only her second novella.


Published in the anthology Hotter on the Edge
Author : Erin Kellison
Publication : 2012
ASIN:  B00757WOT6
Genre: science-fiction romance
Violence: mild

Langage: normal
sex: mild
Public: 18+
Source: free pdf ( special offer)


Short description from goodread :


 Cheated out of a fortune by the Sol royal family, lowborn Simon Miner will do anything to get his revenge, no matter how ruthless. When Princess Mica Sol, a terraforming expert, is shot out of the sky on the way to her sister’s lavish wedding, she fears the worst—scavengers—and flees into an alien jungle to avoid capture. But the man who pursues and captures her is none other than Simon, her former lover. Passions reignite as violence rocks Sol City, and Simon and Mica must fight for love, family, and their world… or lose everything.




My opinion:

          I’m a bit disappointed. The premises are good, the plot interesting but I don’t think it was the right choice for a novella where it would have be a good book. There are a lot of aspects that are initiated in the novella but not complete so I had some difficulties to immerse myself in the story.
I got that the scavengers are kind of genetically modified by evolution or illness but who are they exactly? Are they part of the first humans or are they natives of the planet? It wasn’t clear.
The Sol are an important family that control the “civilized” part of the planet…yes but why exactly? Were they elected at a time or did they just took the power and control of this society not equal?

Erin Kellison concentrates her story on the romance part between Simon and Mica, she offers us some background for it too and I liked this however with all the partial information about the universe and planet I was still this feeling of missing. I wanted more; I would have preferred either have the complete info or no info (like only there is one power in place and other are rebels that’s it) because one touch here and there doesn’t help the understanding at all and that’s becoming confusing.


The characters are interesting but I would have loved more example of how she was before her departure of the planet.  In the end I can say I like this novella but not that I loved it. I understand that a novella must be short by definition but still I want to feel complete after reading a story not full of question unanswered. Yes these weren’t the focus of the story but when mentioned it should have been completed.
Now, I really like her writing’s style and I won’t hesitate to read her other books


Score:  3,5/5




Challenge:

This book enter in the Romance and Me Challenge

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire