vendredi 15 février 2013

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments1) by Cassandra Clare

Hello to all,

         I'm glad i did a lot of reading this week ( relatively speaking of course)  because i'm starting to be sick again ( not a good start for 2013 but the rest will get better) and the headache is back full force. At least i had lot of pleasure before i take a little rest ^^.  There are some series that everyone seems to have read but not you. I lost count of how many time i 've read Mortal Instruments somewhere but for some reason i couldn't decide myself to try them even when i had the books on my shelves.

Why?  I'm not sure at all, perhaps it was simply not the moment because now i did read it and quickly even (if you know me you know that when i like a book i read it more quickly than those i don't like^^), perhaps i decided to read them before the release of the film so i could know what it was about  like the rest of the world? What it's sure it's that a friend really helped my decision and i don't regret it because it was also perfect for a challenge i've entered.

So here is my opinion of City of Bones first book of the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare


Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
Publication: 2007
ISBN:  1406307629
Genre: YA, fantasy, Paranormal, adventure,urban fantasy, romance
Violence: strong

Language: normal
sex: none
Public: 16+
Source: bought


Short description from goodreads :

 When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare’s ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.


My opinion:
          I heard a lot of things about this series but I was a little hesitant, reason why I must be one of the last to discover it but better late than never!

Now, this book isn’t completely original or unpredictable, some typical storylines are used in it but some part felt really new to me. I liked the idea of the marks that gave power but were also dangerous, I also really enjoyed the twists that came several time renewed the interest I had in the story. I spend a really good time with this book and I hope the rest of the series will only get better. I want to discover more about the shadowshunters, whose i don’t like that much by the way, there are a little too narrow minded to my taste and prone to treachery. I really enjoyed Luke, who is suffering more than it seems caught between two worlds and who must take actions with dire consequences. From what I’ve read of the different groups so far, I think it was always more wolf than nephilim, loyalty and force were important for him since the start.

 I loved to see several creatures in the story and not just vampires, though I kind of like this new kind of bikers vampires, and werewolves. Those are the most cited, with the nephilim, aka shadowhunters, and the demons, but we got a glimpse of several fairies and others that I would like to read more of.
The plot is interesting, to see how a group by fear of extinction become more racist than ever and start taking drastic measures is a little reminder of historical events transposed in a universes of fantasy and mystical creatures. Perhaps it will serve to open the eyes of some readers but it’s also something simply enjoyable to read, even if myself I can’t stop to see the parallelism between fiction and history.  I wasn’t completely taken by surprise by some revelations while others did surprise me.

I spend really a good time reading this and I appreciated the books being divided in distinctive parts because it will help if you need to take a break but that being said… once started I didn’t want to put it down so I didn’t put the division to use but it’s something I noted and loved. I’m really curious as how things will evolve but Valentine is a villain that I really dislike and I hope Jace and Clary will manage to create what they need, now Simon must be relieved too and he is moving character too.

I recommend this book if you want some YA fantasy and love paranormal.



Score:  4/5

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and no compensation was received in exchange for this review

Challenges:





8 commentaires:

  1. Sorry to hear that you're sick! :-( Hope you're feeling better soon, miki!!

    And you are certainly not the last one to read this series ... I received the first four books as a gift over a year ago, but haven't picked it up yet *hangs head in shame*. I really want to read this series, but somehow (so far) other books always came first.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. i understand how you feel; there are so many i want to read that i must do a selection ( and if my friend didn't remind me and it wasn't good for challenge i would probably have waited a little more ^^)

      so far i only own book1-3 but i was told it was better to take them ( and read of course 3 by 3) so i will see before i get book 4 and after ( and those who are the prequel too)

      Supprimer
  2. Oh you know Miki I havent' read this one either and I've got it here sitting on my shelf. Everyone's said it's so good but for some reason I just haven't felt the little push to actually read it. It does sound really good though! I like that it's not just vamps too. I love a good vampire story but it's fun to learn about other species too :)

    I hope you're feeling better than you were earlier. Lots of happy healthy thoughts coming your way!

    ~Anna

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. ^^;; i wouldn't said it's so good but it's an easy and enjoyable reads, you don't learn too much about others species her ( in book two you learn about faeries) i had to wait until i felt like reading it and it was a good read then not sure i would have felt teh same a few month ago^^

      seems like i just getting worse ( not that serious either) it becoming more painful and such so the doctor will be a necessirty this week i think ( when one thing seems better another starts causing problem-_- an healing rune could be useful at the moment, i wouldn't be plied in two anymore) thank you for your concern though

      Supprimer
  3. I hope you're feeling better! *hugs*

    Great review. I bought the first three books in the series in the bargain section late last year and still haven't read them. I'm hoping to get to them soon. Like you, before the movie comes out I want to know what all the fuss is about! ;-)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. i've taken half my medecine so i'm starting to see some progress but i'm still too unwell to want to read.

      i hope you will find the time to read them ^^;;

      Supprimer
  4. Most definitely better late than never- I love the world and the way it works. I see you've got the third one to read-we're kind of in the same place in the series. Also, get better xx *sends hugs and well wishes*

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one. It's a favorite of mine. Of course some books in the series are better than others, but I think the story overall is a great one, and I agree that Valentine is one villain that deserves what is coming to him! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    RépondreSupprimer